Monday, August 22, 2011

Big Government – I'm not a fan

I recently watched the movie, “The Soloist” which was a good reminder for me of the state of our nation’s homeless and I truly sympathize with anyone who is or has been homeless.  But for the Grace of God, there go I. 
Today I read an opinion article on Fox News titled “Could L.A.’s Jay Goldinger Hold the Key to Defeating Homelessness?”
A few stand out quotes from the article that I am like minded with . . .
-       Indeed, British Prime Minister David Cameron summed up the fears and frustrations of many when he asked; "Do we have the determination to confront the slow-motion moral collapse that has taken place in parts of our country these past few generations? Irresponsibility. Selfishness. Behaving as if your choices have no consequences... Reward without effort.”
-       To date, Food-on-Foot boasts an 89% success rate; roughly the reverse percentage of success enjoyed by government-funded programs. Oh, and did I mention that from Day 1 Jay has refused any and all government funding?
-       These simple acts challenge people clinging to the lowest rung of society to validate their self-worth and to realize that victimhood isn’t a coat that protects you from the elements but a straitjacket that locks you in to a cycle of misery.
-       His tough-love approach is one that works to motivate people to take responsibility for their actions. Participants start by sweeping the streets.
-       Jay told us that when a new group of workers sign up, he provides each with a mirror and offers this admonition: "Take a good in the mirror. You are looking at the enemy; the only person holding you back from a bright future.”
Like bullet two above -  I believe our government programs are far less efficient than many of our community programs.  As your Board of Supervisors representative, I would strive to reduce government social programs while teaming with and increasing the community programs we have.  I would encourage and cooperate with local volunteer organizations to care for our down and out for a win – win outcome. 
David Ross – your best choice for Courtland Board of Supervisors

No comments:

Post a Comment